U.B. Funkeys are colorful, unique collectible figures that I predict are going to be around and growing in numbers for a long time. Funkeys provide access to Terrapinia – a virtual world and home to the Funkeys via USB connected to your PC. Each Funkey has its own characteristics and can access different features on the website. There are 14 species of Funkeys and 42 Funkeys available as of this review.
My 9 year old son likes Funkeys' games and the interactivity of the website. As a mother though, I appreciate the fact that he is challenged by some of the games and that he is motivated to get more coins.
5 steps to getting started with U.B. Funkeys:
- Purchase a Funkeys starter kit
- Install the included software
- Plug the base into your computer via the USB
- Register on the U.B. Funkeys website
- Enjoy exploring the virtual world of Funkeys
- Funkeys Town is the starting spot and is a virtual world filled with buildings and games. Some of the buildings are accessible to everyone, while others are only open to certain Funkeys.
- Each game you play earns coins that you can use to buy items to decorate your virtual "crib" (home). Your Funkeys can also collect special items they find in their travels
- Players can switch Funkeys at any time, even while playing, by placing a new Funkey on the base. Switching from one Funkey to another automatically changes your online character to match the Funkey plugged in to your base. Portals can transport your character to other worlds but these worlds are only accessible by certain Funkeys.
- The Funkeys Dream State Specialty Starter Kit for example, costs about $20.
- Individual Funkeys cost anywhere from $6 and up. Individual Funkeys are apparently a 'must have' for kids that have a starter set. Funkeys are a 'collect them all' product that most kids will find addicting like baseball cards or Bionicals. Once they get one, they have want to have them all.
Go to the U.B. Funkeys How it Works page to learn more.
I recommend checking Funkey prices in Amazon.com's U.B. Funkeys section before running out to your local toy store.